Oh my gosh!!
A humble brag of the most grateful proportions and so thrilled to share with you that I won the ADEC award for my painting ‘Fly Free’ yesterday at the Artability Diverse-city exhibition in The Atrium in Fed Square (Melbourne Australia)
(which also currently referred to in our household as- that damn birds painting!)
ill show you why in a minute!
So here’s the thing.
For me, I’ve finally worked out (took five yeas but hey better late than never right?) that I can be successful and award winning and live the life I want to live on my terms – as long as….
- I listen to what my mind, body and soul needs.
- I don’t push myself to be something I’m not
- I accept my limitations as strengths and not something that is holding me back
- I am real and authentic and say yes, when I mean yes and no when I mean no without guilt and shame and feelings of inadequacy
- I surround myself with my tribe of folks whom I can be me
- I’m realistic about timeframes
- I’m realistic about my capabilities during episodes
- I set self-care boundaries about what works for me
- I appreciate who I am, as I am – no comparisons
- I own it
and I stop beating myself up when I can’t finish a task, or am struggling more than usual and to take a break as part of self care and not as a point of failure.
and I promised I’d show you why we refer to it as ‘the damn birds painting’ in our house 😂
Its on EVERYTHING!
I love it! ❤️❤️ Now I can’t say I’ve been on a bottle of wine or a candle before but hey! There is a first for everything! But I gotta tell you dear reader, I feel like I’m being staked by one of my paintings, a la Hitchcock-esque! Seriously, it’s awesome, so much fun!
So now I know.
So here is what I also spoke about at the exhibition, sharing my story of recovery and hope and living with Bipolar (and art and recovery)
I guess success for me and what works for me is
- knowing who I am
- being honest about what I’m about,
- surrounding myself with a support team (medical, holistic and brilliant mates)
- and embracing all my bits, not just those I think are ‘acceptable’
I get to live the life I love and it’s BETTER (would you believe) before my brain flipped a switch and before I became / diagnosed Bipolar?
Because I had to get real and authentic and I reckon that’s success. Being who you are and loving yourself for it – living your life how you want, on your terms in wellness, kindness, compassion, self forgiveness, self worth and love. ❤️
Gotta be happy with that and can I say, feeling tremendously blessed and grateful is just, food for the soul xx